 Off-Topic / Fun / 10565
Re: PS2 or XBox?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 06:18:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Wayne McCaul wrote:
We're looking to update the kids console for Christmas, so it's either a PS2 or
an X-Box. Anyone have any opinions either way? We had a PS1 for a long time, so
I'm more inclined to keep with it (plus the backward compatability). While I do
occasionally wander into console games (and online, multiplayer has me
interested), it's more for them than us.

Thanks!

-Evil Wayne

My 2 cents are as follows.... I'm and old school gamer, I grew up on atari and
NES and followed to PS1.  I took the route of Final Fantasy.  I got hooked on
the early titles and followed them to PS1 and now to PS2.  So for that I like my
PS2.  If FF did not exist I probably would take an xbox now, especially since
the Grand Theft Auto titles are now available.  (vice city, best game... ever.)
But here's my pros/cons

PS2:  Backward compatable, I had a bunch of ps1 games that still like, so that's
cool.  Plus the hardware is still good, extra controllers and such.  The old
memory cards work too, but only for PS1 saves, PS2 saves require the big 8mb
card.  The dvd player is free, you can control it using the controller, but the
remotes are nice.  The graphics are excellent, how good do you want your games
too look?  (get a PC with 256mb vid card then!)  The online play is limited big
time.  You have to buy the extra parts, hard drive and modem, and software.  I
haven't tried it, but if you don't have broadband, DONT BOTHER WITH ANY ONLINE
PLAY, xbox or ps2.

Xbox:  I like the new titles, halo, and such are almost worth switching over.
The dvd player is an ad on, you need to buy the remote for it to work, no
controllers here, unless they make a package now that includes the remote, I
dunno.  The hard drive is nice, the stock xbox lets you rip cds to it and use
the songs in games, like racing titles, or def jam vendetta, or the GTA games.
The graphics aren't that much better, a tiny bit but I blame that on the games.
Now, if you want to do lots of stuff (illeagal stuff btw) you can do more with
an xbox.  They make chips for ps2s but the xbox ones are way better.  The hard
drive is either 8 or 10gigs, depending on the age of the xbox, but you can swap
that out with any off the shelf hard drive, like 250+ gigs.  Then you get a
chip, (here's where everyone goes, oh I can't solder tiny things), get a chip
that is solderless, it screws in and sits on the connections.  BTW again, I have
no idea where to get such things!  Then you can rip GAMES, not just audio cds,
and store them on the drive.  A game is about 10 gigs, let's say, so you can get
like 25 games on the drive and you don't need the disks.  SO rent and rip.  Oh
and I HATE the controller for the box, it's so huge.

Take your pick from there.  I still choose PS2 because of what's available.  But
keep the future in mind, the next gen will run these ps2 disks, and MICROSOFT
makes the xbox, so pretty much forget about support for old systems, they love
to make stuff obsolete.  Oh and as for the future, Halo 2 and DOOM 3 is only
being released on PC and Xbox.  So that's rough.

My final pick still is, my good ol trusty PS2 and my Alienware PC.  Nice
combination.

PS Gamecube is crap.  The Zelda title is only worthwhile thing nintendo has made
in the last year.  The box is small and only takes baby cds so it's not a dvd
player or anything else.  If you like nintendo, get the gameboy advance instead.

e.