 Off-Topic / Debate / Search Results: all rights are property rights
 Results 201 – 220 of about 12000.
Search took 0.03 CPU seconds.

Messages:  Full | Brief | Compact

  Re: Victories for smokefree ballot initiatives

(...) They're open to the public. We aren't talking about esatblishments that close their doors to people walking in. Nontheless, I don't sense we can agree on this issue, as we take a fundamentally different approach towards individual rights. (...) (20 years ago, 10-Nov-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 0.976)

  Re: Essay on Emerson vs. Thoreau; civil disobedience

(...) Ah-- then we shall certainly have differences. My own moral theory arrives at the conclusion that there are no absolutes in morality. (...) And I'd argue that it CAN be. Not necessarily that it's EVER actually BEEN ok, but that the possibility (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 0.975)

  Re: Victories for smokefree ballot initiatives

(...) I'm with Dave on the interpretation of the job issue. As for letting people make their own stupid decisions--in general--sure. Let people choose to smoke, I can't prevent them from doing so in their own home, or among a group of consenting (...) (20 years ago, 3-Nov-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 0.973)

  Re: More Election Bad News?

(...) That is such a simple and elegant solution to the whole debate. I was really hoping Kerry (or somebody!) would voice this opinion--it's such a simple, easy-to-make-sense-of position, compared to his (and others') "I am against letting gay (...) (20 years ago, 23-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

all, rights
(score: 0.970)

  More Election Bad News?

Looks like Proposal 2, a state amendment banning all forms of homosexual unions will be passed in Michigan: (URL) don't get it. Can't we have the word 'marriage' stricken from all our laws and legalese and replaced with the term "civil union", open (...) (20 years ago, 22-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 0.969)

  Re: A question for my Canadian pals

(...) What follows is all plowed ground... The above presents a false dichotomy in my view. It suggests that either those that are unlucky suffer, or else government has to transfer income (fundamentally, at the point of a gun, since taxation is not (...) (20 years ago, 6-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, property
(score: 0.969)

  Re: Is lgbt dead in the water? & Is religion dead in the water?

(...) Eh, I thought I'd add a particular flavour to my otherwise colourless rant. If you want me to do you a favour by dropping the u's out of color, I'll do so. (...) We can set up scientific experiments, observe, and hypothesize, and come up with (...) (20 years ago, 20-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 0.968)

  Theory vs. practice (was Re: Polyamory

All of what I say below is plowed ground, stuff I and others have said before, so those that pay attention are invited to skip this entire post. They already know this stuff. Scott, though, might want to pay attention, for once. I won't hold my (...) (24 years ago, 16-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 0.968)

  Re: ("life affirming" == "no initiation of force") == "all rigihts are property rights"?

(...) I think a word is missing. How about: "all rights are necessarily property rights" and "some rights aren't necessarily property rights"? (...) I think before I can do that, I need you to explain what a property right *is*. Where does this (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 0.968)

  Re: Is lgbt dead in the water?

(...) First of all, let me say thank you to Lenny for his (URL) input>. He is quite correct that it is falacious to caricature the position of one's opponent and then attack that position as if it were the real one. That's the classic (URL) Straw (...) (20 years ago, 14-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

all, rights
(score: 0.967)

  Re: Is space property?

Christopher Weeks wrote in message ... (...) believe, (...) seem (...) As an atheist, here is my take on human rights: Rights are, as far as I can tell, a human social construct, a "base-level" set of behavioural rules that originate from (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 0.965)

  Re: A question for my Canadian pals

(...) Only insofar as THEY derived a benefit... if what they paid in taxes covered the education services they received, then no... in fact one could argue that I ought to get a credit in my accounting if what they paid was more. But this could (...) (20 years ago, 7-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 0.964)

  Is space property?

Howdy and Merry Christmas all, As you probably know, I'm one of the property-rights be-all libertarians here. But I've been fixating on the role of land (or locations) as property. I have talked about the generation of property (e.g. jars of clay) (...) (24 years ago, 25-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 0.964)

  Re: ("life affirming" == "no initiation of force") == "all rigihts are property rights"?

(...) OK, fair enough. Just to be clear, if we posit that there are no property rights, under such a system of rights calculus, it might well be OK for you to walk up to me and rip food out of my hand, food that I traded someone else for, or grew (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 0.964)

  Re: Family values?

(...) The fact that you suggest the self-evidence of marriage indicates that you and I have two fundamentally divergent worldviews. That's fine, of course, but we need to recognize that certain issues are therefore insoluble between us, and this may (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 0.963)

  Re: Is space property?

Hmm, I've been thinking about this issue since before Chris posted (look back and you'll find a thought exercise of mine dealing with someone living on property which is totally surrounded by someone else's property where that other person decides (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 0.963)

  Re: Is space property?

(...) and (...) will (...) I've been thinking about this. I have at various times thought that rights are: A) immutable truths based on the nature of our humanity, B) make believe, C) legal constructs saying what we can do, and D) fuzzy terms that (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 0.962)

  Uhh, back to tax again ;-) (Was Re: Is space property?)

Christopher Weeks wrote in message ... (...) unfair, (...) You're right. I have made two mistakes in my argument: one was to invoke the ambiguous concept of "fairness", the other one was to rigidly stick to the dictionary definition of "stealing" (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 0.962)

  Re: Lavender Brick Society

It's just too tempting. (...) Nah. They probably think of you as a narrow-minded, bigoted, right-wing, Bible-thumping homophobe because: 1) You seem adamant that everyone who argued against your point is wrong, and is also a hatemonger, solely on (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 0.962)

  Re: Is space property?

Warning: Long, long rant by the resident imperial historian follows. Grab a donut (or an ear of corn, if you're a Middle American like myself). ;) (...) It doesn't. The lifestyle we enjoy in the US, UK, Europe (as a whole), Japan, Oceania, Canada, (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 0.962)

More:  Next Page >>