 Off-Topic / Debate / 26274
26273  |  26275
Subject:
More Election Bad News?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:11:09 GMT

Looks like Proposal 2, a state amendment banning all forms of homosexual unions
will be passed in Michigan:

http://www.detnews.com/2004/politics/0410/22/a01-312436.htm

I don't get it. Can't we have the word 'marriage' stricken from all our laws and
legalese and replaced with the term "civil union", open to all hetro and gay
couples? Churches can then be free to define their own "marriages" as religious
(yet non-legal) contracts sanctioned by God?

Doesn't that then afford equal rights under the law and yet preserve the
so-called traditional "definition of marriage"?

Spencer