 Off-Topic / Debate / 9983
Re: Thoughts on prayer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:02:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Markus Wolf writes:
  Okay, but the only problem with that is that Jesus claimed to be more
than a prophet.  I mean that's what got him killed was the "blasphemy" of
referring to himself as "I Am."  I'm sure the Moslems have a problem with
that.

Yes, exactly. Moslems acknowledge Jesus only as a prophet, not as God as most
Christians do. They do believe in the immaculate conception but also
make note that Jesus had siblings. Actually, the Koran makes a lot more sense
than the Bible as far as explaining things. It even acknowledges life on other
worlds.

  By calling Jesus a prophet, you can say he had some good things to say
and pick and choose what fits your philosophy.  But for him to say, "No one
comes to the father but through me.."  Ah, that's what makes the people of
my generation spit fire.

Yep, I know what you mean. The Bible says a lot of things about Jesus that I
just find hard to believe. Actually, impossible to believe.

That forces us all to make a decision about Jesus.
Was he absolutely nuts or an incredibly vindictive but skilled liar or was
he the  God he said He was?  (concept stolen from C.S. Lewis from something
I read in my childhood)

Well, I try to take in the bigger picture of the era that Jesus lived. The
Romans were brutal and the Hebrew leadership of the time was corrupt. A lot of
the essence of Jesus's message got lost because Christianity went underground
for nearly two centuries. I suppose that, given a few hundred years, a small
group of people like David Koresh's followers could have passed on story after
story (neatly altering the facts) until they claim Koresh was God and make a
whole religion out it.

And not to stir up anything, but I just can't see Ghandi blowing his top
in the temple like Jesus did, unless it's Weird Al's Ghandi.  :O)

Heh heh! Actually, Ghandi learned the idea of passive resistence from beating
his wife, of all things. He said, when he was young and foolish, he'd smack her
around to get her to submit to his will. Her defiance and suffering made him
see his own stupidity and the futility of forcing one's will on others.

Dan