 Off-Topic / Debate / 9976
Re: Thoughts on prayer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 03:39:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
What a shame, too, since the true "power" of Jesus is the knowledge and
wisdom he shared to help people live a good, peaceful life. Regardless of
whether you believe in God or not, there's much to learn from Jesus the
person. He's a hero to me, in the same way as Ghandi or Dr. Martin Luther
King Jr.

That's an interesting perspective that I've never considered before.  I've
always considered the true power of Jesus' message being the fact that God
wants a relationship with me.  That's a mind-boggling concept.  That the
Creator of the Universe would make every effort, even to sacrificing His own
Son, to get whoever will back into his family.

I mean, He did teach great moral lessons and things, but we had plenty of
great moral lessons before he arrived on the scene.  I guess Moses was more
of the Mr "How You Really Ought to Live" guy for me.  But I really fail the
moral test way too often to really enjoy it.

I always enjoy for some odd reason the passages where Jesus is so utterly
unreligious, like when he tosses furniture around in the temple, or breaks
the sabbath day on purpose to tick the Pharisees off, or does lunch with the
drunks and prostitutes despite what a holy man "ought to do."  I guess the
stereotype Jesus seems to "feminine" for me for lack of a better term.  When
he breaks that mold, I get that same feeling that guys get when they watch
the "Gladiator" movie.  That in God's perspective, there is a time to just
kick butt.

I'll have to read the Royal Book again from the "peaceful life" perspective.

Markus