 Off-Topic / Debate / 9750
Re: Spy plane (was: Why is religion so hot?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 16:16:05 GMT

"Troll" is of course common Internet parlance for a person who posts in a
manner apparently specifically intended to produce heated and emotional

Right.  Thanks.  Is that 'common' as in 'used by the common folk?' by the
way?  No, must stop it.  :)

"Straw Man" is a long-standing term for the rhetorical falacy of
picking your opponent's weakest argument and attacking it as if it were your
opponent's only argument.  In so doing, you create the illusion that you've
defeated your opponent, but you've no more done so than if you'd fought and
beaten a straw man.

    Dave!

I learned something today.  Marvellous.  Anyway, I just wanted to change the
subject as I'm sick of this whole religion/flat earth/new earth/old earth
rubbish that keeps coming around.  I'd just like to hear from someone who's
got an opinion they can back up that's not based wholly on over-zealous
patriotism.

Jason