 Off-Topic / Debate / 9725
Re: Why is religion so hot?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:55:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jude Beaudin writes:

The reason I ask is I want to see what you hope to accomplish with such a
next to impossible task to get everyone to agree. Do you see this a productive
forum to propagate your beliefs?

  This is a valid question.  For those of us confident of our views (which
is probably everyone here!), it serves as a place to practice articulating
those views so that we may ultimately discuss them more rationally.  In
addition, we learn the opposing views and the arguments common to them; as
such, we become prepared for the types of objections we may expect when
discussing the issue in a more appropriate forum.
  We're fortunate here at LUGNET to have as our constituents not the dimmest
people on the planet, so we're afforded a good opportunity to discuss our
views with people who can reasonably be expected to reflect thoughtfully on
the subject.  This isn't always the case in the workplace (my coworker, for
example, asked me just moments ago if President Woodrow Wilson is still alive).
In addition, it's a low-risk forum; if I infuriate a coworker, I have to
deal with his ire in the workplace.  If I annoy a fellow poster on .debate,
I don't have to deal with that poster until I read LUGNET again.
  Sure, few of us have been swayed as a result of the debates here, but I've
become much better informed of my opponents' views, and I am (I
hope)accordingly better able to debate them in a wider forum.

     Dave!