 Off-Topic / Debate / 9733
Re: Why is religion so hot?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 19:58:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jude Beaudin writes:
Why do you think is religion such a hot topic (no pun intended) of debate on a
website dedicated to LEGO?

At an offhand guess (because I don't usually partake in other online
interfaces that are this open-ended [since we're lucky enough to have the
off-topic newsgroup]), I think it's no more prevalant here than it would be
elsewhere. Personally, I just think it's one of those things that crops up
once in a while, and certain people are very persistant and enthusiastic
about it. Leading to (of course) the elongated debates.

I find it hard to believe that these discussions will manifest in the changing
of someone's convictions (if I am wrong here please give me concrete
examples).

So do I. I've never gone in expecting to convert anyone, or expecting that
I'll be completely convinced of the error of my ways or anything. And if
that IS what anyone's thinking, they'll most likely leave the debate after
realizing that people WON'T be convinced so easily.

The reason I ask is I want to see what you hope to accomplish with such a
next to impossible task to get everyone to agree. Do you see this a productive
forum to propagate your beliefs?

I'll take the first part last-- I personally see this no more productive a
forum than any other to propogate my beliefs if that were my purpose, or
anyone else's. But it's a great forum to do what I DO want to do.

As for what I would hope to accomplish or what others hope to accomplish? I
gotta go with Jeremy. People do it to find strength or weakness in their own
selves-- whether it's their debate style, their beliefs, or their simple
ability to comprehend others. That's what I seek from these debates. And
they only end (in my eyes) when I can confirm that I understand the other
person's beliefs. I want to agree to disagree (or plain agree, I suppose,
but that's only happened once for me on Lugnet, which I was amazed at). I
want the two of us (me and whoever I'm talking to) to understand WHY we
disagree at the most basic level we can get to, because it's almost NEVER at
the superficial level (at least I've never seen it there in a serious debate)

$.02,
DaveE