 Off-Topic / Debate / 9726
Re: Why is religion so hot?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:58:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jude Beaudin writes:
Why do you think is religion such a hot topic (no pun intended) of debate on a
website dedicated to LEGO?

Because doing so has affected my beliefs.

First, understand that you can't just say "this is religion, and this is
everything else I believe in".  It's all part of one's belief system, ethics
system, political system, etc.  Religious beliefs (or non-religious beliefs)
are just a part of the whole, but intertwined with the rest so completely
that it's impossible to separate.

Posting my religious beliefs to LUGNET, as well as questioning others, has
had two effects on me:  it has fortified certain parts of my faith, and
caused me to reconsider other parts as well.

By way of example, I have come to understand that my conviction was lacking
in certain areas.  Upon some reflection, it's obvious that my lack of
conviction in these areas is adversely affecting my health.  Since then,
I've given up on carbonated drinks, and I'm exercising more.  This came from
discussing religion.  Weird, huh?

Conversely, by seeing how people react to my descriptions of what I believe
in, has shown me how profound these aspects of my faith are.  Consequently,
and again after some period of reflection, my faith has grown even stronger.

The reason I ask is I want to see what you hope to accomplish with such a
next to impossible task to get everyone to agree. Do you see this a productive
forum to propagate your beliefs?

I'm not sure that most people here are trying to get everyone to follow
their own beliefs.  Anyone trying such a feat is grossly overconfident, or
grossly misinformed, or both.  (I would be surprised if most of the hurt
feelings and name-calling didn't come from this group.)

I'm pretty sure, though, that most here don't have such a lofty goal in
mind.  I think that we talk about what matters to us simply because it
matters to us, and discussing such things helps us to better understand each
other.  *Why* we would want to better understand each other is a totally
different discussion (1), but I contend that the act of trying to do so is a
Good Thing.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  ...and one I'd love to watch, as these "meta-debates" seem to me to be
more informative, lately...