 Off-Topic / Debate / 9724
Re: Why is religion so hot?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:50:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jude Beaudin writes:
Since this is the place the debates about religion happen (or at least should
happen :-) I am gonna post this here...

Why do you think is religion such a hot topic (no pun intended) of debate on a
website dedicated to LEGO?

I find it hard to believe that these discussions will manifest in the changing
of someone's convictions (if I am wrong here please give me concrete examples).

I am not asking this question to provoke anyone nor to discourage what is both
acceptable, according to the TOS, and within your freedom of speech.

The reason I ask is I want to see what you hope to accomplish with such a
next to impossible task to get everyone to agree. Do you see this a productive
forum to propagate your beliefs?

I've kind of cooled on the religion debates myself, to the extent that i really
don't participate any longer.  I think they are somewhat appropriate though,
because religious or non-religious sentiment are very real angles of who we all
are, and I think that if we are going to be "real" with each other and try to
build genuine friendships, then I don't think that the religion topic can be
altogether ignored.  Sometimes I do feel that people bait the trap.  The
proverbial "Why do Christians believe thusly?" thread starter is often, IMO, not
always an honest query for info.  Often, these kinds of hot topics seem to be,
again, IMO, a valve for releasing steam or philosophical frustrations.  Which is
maybe ok, but I personally tire of restating my position.

I almost wish that we could have a place where members could simply post their
views on a checklist so that, when my (for example) views are questioned, I
could just say "Refer to point 14 - My stand on The Nature of Man, or item 23:
My Take on Gun Control."  Again, it just gets kind of stale restating everything
time and again. When I do engage in religious debate, however, it's usually not
with the intention of convincing those whom disagree with me, but, simply to
make my voice heard.  I think that its important for a person to state his/her
positions with conviction...a bold stand is a safeguard against a PC and
intolerant atmosphere that marginalizes unpopular views.

james