 Off-Topic / Debate / 7812
Re: About "Plowed Territory"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 02:27:43 GMT

But when we all go over the same topic in this forum, over and over and over
again, it's annoying. For example, Bill F. in his response to your response,
posts Pascal's Wager AGAIN, for what must be the 57th time in this
newsgroup... and when, in fact, LFB had already said, (in effect) don't
bother because here are the cites that argue against it, make up your own
mind, it's old news. When he does that, THAT is plowed ground.

I made points, that for me, are unresolved, and asked an honest question
because I sincerely want an answer. For me it's not plowed ground. If you
don't like it, don't participate.

I for one am tired of this endless repetition. It's not helping anyone
clarify their thinking or discover anything new, about themselves, about
their friends, about society, not about anything.

I disagree. I've learned much, and not afraid to admit, from you and others
here.

Or at least not bring up religion in threads that weren't started to discuss
it. And I believe that's the first time I've ever singled out a group rather
than a person as the cause of trouble in a LUGNet newsgroup, and I'm sorry
it's come to this, but it has.

If some threads deal with matters involving morality, God is relevant.
Everything is "a priori". We all believe what we do based on something. If
you can discuss issues from a secular/atheist point of view - I can do the
opposite. It's interesting to me how you consistently exhibit the same
reprehensible traits of the religious zealots you despise, yet for you it's
OK, because you think you're superior (another one of those traits, by the way).

Bill says he hates christians who get in your face about their religion.
Look in the mirror, Bill. Just accept that some are happy without your tin
god and let it go at that. Just let it go.

If I have come across that way then I deserve your criticism. I'm not trying
to convert you. Just participating in the debate for my own enjoyment. I
already said that I used to teach kids to question their beliefs to see if
they believed it for themselves or just because mommy and daddy raised 'em
that way. I do believe it's better to admit atheism than to play church, and
have stated it many times. Believe what you want. You need to look in the
mirror too my friend. Don't wear you're atheism on your sleeve just to tweak
Christians and then whine when they engage you.

I've gotten several notes from long time readers of this forum, people whose
participation in it makes it fun and interesting when they are here, who
despair of any discussion lately not ending up talking about religion within
a few posts and who are giving up on the newsgroup altogether

I too have gotten notes from people, this time and last, thanking me for my
positions and for stating them openly. So what. Your views are just as
tedious to some, but I wouldn't suggest silencing you. Why is there always a
double standard?

Bill