 Off-Topic / Debate / 7566
  Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) The same logic would also apply, however, if I asserted that I have supreme power and choose absolutely not to act on it; does someone's inability to disprove my power make it so? The bottom line, for me, is that if logic could prove the (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) It's ok if you don't know of any. Consider this... The funny thing about Biblical Prophecies is that they tend to be centered around *major* events. As such, there haven't been any really *major* Biblical / Spiritual events in the past (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) Understood. However, surely you must realize that these two prophecies are sufficiently nebulous to curtail their predictive value? I'm not trying to sound petty, but to claim that Israel would return to its homeland at some time to be named (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) either. (...) Ha! It's very easy to look back on something and say that it was easy to predict. Hindsight is always 20-20 eh? You asked for 2 prophecies that the Bible has made and I've given you them... Ok, so you don't like them, that (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) Agreed--they're not made false by my dislike, but neither are they made true by your assertion of them. In order for any prophesy to be given any value, it must have some specificity, otherwise you can simply say "well, it didn't happen yet, (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) Both? (...) I can offer this (in response to your 'prediction' - er, prophecy, or whatever) Remember, please, my point about prophecies surrounding major Biblical events. The last event was the birth/life/death of Jesus. About that there were (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) As reported by the very document that predicted them. Further, while I recognize that you can drum up historical evidence to support these predictions, I could parry that by asking which revision of the Bible we're cconsidering to have (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) events. (...) And lots of other archeological and historical evidence. (...) You're avoiding the personal aspects here - and the 'versions' are all pretty much the same (contrary to your statement otherwise). I don't have time to go into how (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) Now, now. When I get home (or perhaps tomorrow, if I don't have time tonight) I'll post examples for you, and we'll see how identical they are. For that matter, what do you mean by "personal aspects" in this case? Is the Bible a different (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) Not that I know of. I do it all the time and I never forfeit, just ask me. If you really want to forfeit, you need to ask Rush Limbaugh what equivalence class Clinton is in. Although if Dubya wins, and in 2008 Hillary (divorced at this point) (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) If I may leap in at this point..... Just got in from work - I'm on the west coast right now so I'm a little behind you east and central time-zoners. I want to make a few points at this juncture with a disclaimer up front: I enjoyed reading (...) (24 years ago, 30-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) One of the thoughts I often had is that Islam did a much better job of creating a religion than Christianity did. Some of the reasons: #1 - Their prophet wrote "The Book". #2 - Their prophet lived long enough after getting the ball rolling to (...) (24 years ago, 30-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) Sorry to jump, but this just reminds me a former RP (a fundamentalist political party in Turkey) senator, who escaped to Germany after found guilty by the court, just announced a few days ago himself as "messiah". Since it is the second Turk (...) (24 years ago, 30-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) Yeah? Well what about Catholics who worship the saints? Isn't that idolatry? Chris :-) (24 years ago, 3-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) Yes. As well as all the statues. Bill (24 years ago, 3-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)