 Off-Topic / Debate / 7566
Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:50:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=24629

That's a bit of a stretch, Bill.

Admittedly. Yet, the same logic applies perfectly. I DID admit that it was
all in fun though.

  The same logic would also apply, however, if I asserted that I have
supreme power and choose absolutely not to act on it; does someone's
inability to disprove my power make it so?
  The bottom line, for me, is that if logic could prove the existence of a
divine being, it would have done so a long time ago and the arguments would
likewise have been ended long ago.  Further, if logic could prove such
existence, then Faith by definition has no value.

Well, since no one *has* witnessed gods, god or God, in an objective,
verifiable way, we're safe there.

According to you. Many have witnessed God in verifiable ways. I do not seek
to open that discussion to a million thread posting though. If it happens,
so be it.

  If it were actually verifiable, there would be no argument, and once again
Faith would have no meaning or value.  "Verifiable" for purposes of this
discussion doesn't simply mean "something I experienced and know to be
true," but rather it has to be verifiable (ideally, repeatable) from an
objective perspective.  I understand your reluctance to open that part of
the debate, so if you don't want to respond to that part, that's cool.

Those who have not found God have not sought him in the right place.

  This is circular reasoning.

Which is totally fine with me, I don't seek to twist peoples arms into
agreeing with me - my beliefs are mine.

  I should back-pedal just a little; I'm not trying to undo your beliefs,
either.  I just want to make sure that, rhetorically, we're (in general--not
just you and me, Bill) on the same page for discussion.

I tend to label myself an atheist, because explaining that I'm agnostic to
the extent of allowing for the existence of an unknowable spirit who has no
effect on the universe whatever (no other kind is supported by the evidence)

Yet, He has been guiding all of history as evidenced by fulfilled prophecies
- which is unrefutable.

  I wouldn't presume to ask your an exegesis of these prophecies, but can
you give me a concrete example or two from sometime in the last millennium?
I can't think of any, but my knowledge of the Bible is far from exhaustive.

     Dave!