 Off-Topic / Debate / 7567
Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:17:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:

Actually this current discussion was started by Frank dealing with motives
for benevolence - which is where I believe the Christian ethic is pertinent.

  That's an interesting point, and quite similar to the "is libertarianism
on the rise?" discussion.  If someone adheres to good ideals which are in
step with Christianity, but that person doesn't believe in God, are his
ideals still good?  I think Plato took a stab at this a few years ago (in
the Euthyphro?).
  The Christian ethic, disregarding for a moment the actual presence or
absence of God, is simply a good way (disregarding also the atrocities
commited by those purporting to act "in the name of God") to get along with
people, if one holds basic ideals of human interaction.  If one accepts
those ideals to be logical and self-evident, there is no need to insert a
further divine validation for those ideals.
  Obviously this isn't a refutation of the existence of God, nor is it
intended to be.

     Dave!