 Off-Topic / Debate / 7610
Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 03:36:51 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:
  Even ineffable documents?  How does God feel about His Word being tweaked
to suit linguistic trends?  The Qur'an, at least, acknowledges the
authenticity only of the original text; translations have been made, but
these are subordinate to the original.

One of the thoughts I often had is that Islam did a much better job of
creating a religion than Christianity did. Some of the reasons:

#1 - Their prophet wrote "The Book".

#2 - Their prophet lived long enough after getting the ball rolling to
not only get it rolling very well, but also pronounce many judgments,
which were recorded and are now available to provide additional insight
as to the meaning of "The Book".

#3 - Their prophet made it clear that God should be worshipped, not the
prophet.

There are probably other items, but the above are a good start. Of
course Christianity's responses to these would be:

#1 - The Bible is still the word of God, the writers of the Bible were
guided by God to write the truth (if so, why is it so confusing and
contradictory?)

#2 - Jesus died to cleanse us of our sins which did a heck of a lot more
for Christians than anything concrete and verifiable.

#3 - Jesus is the son of God, and is one with God, therefore, Christians
ARE worshiping God, not the prophet.

Frank