 Off-Topic / Debate / 723
Re: Federal Reserve Board - "Know Your Customer" Rule
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 03:47:04 GMT

Lee Jorgensen wrote:

For more information on privacy and the fight to protect it,
go to ...

http://www.jbs.org/

The John Birch Society

I first looked into the JBS when I was 12. It starts off fairly
reasonable, but goes nutty pretty fast.

There are significant similarities in position, which have come about
for wildly varying reasons, but I would not say congruence by any means.
Not hardly.

The LP message is one of tolerance and freedom. In the LP view, there is
no "communist conspiracy" per se (never ascribe to malice what stupidity
is sufficient to explain) operating within the shadowy recesses of the
government, no Trilateral Commission, no cult of personality around a
single founder, no reverence of Joseph McCarthy and the tactics of
slander and intimidation, and no emphasis on God's plan for the US
revolving around members saving the world.

In fact I don't think the JBS thinks much of the LP. The JBS is
staunchly pro law and order, so although it speaks of the burden of
regulations, I doubt it would have much of a problem with this one.

The JBS thinks that almost all forms of interpersonal relationships are
"sinful" and that there is no need for tolerance in that area. Witness
their lambasting of Kinsey as a deviant for doing research into
behaviour.

The LP just wants us all to be able to be left alone. It doesn't feel
the need to condemn anyone as sinful, although we certainly take delight
in pointing out stupidity.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.