 Off-Topic / Debate / 712
Re: Federal Reserve Board - "Know Your Customer" Rule
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:33:24 GMT

Ed Jones wrote:

There was a discussion, either here or in RTL, about the proposed "Know Your
Customer Rule" that was designed to alleviate Money Laundering.

The proposal has been withdrawn due to "...an unprecedented number of comments
on the proposal from the public, banking organizations, industry trade
associations, and members of Congress...[reflecting] public concern over the
privacy of information that would be collected and held by financial
institutions..."

See my sig. 170K of the comments (out of 250K or so, 99+% against) were
originated at the site I reference.

But the battle is not over, there are plans afoot to do it anyway,
rebadged and repackaged. Support Ron Paul's (R-TX) bill preventing such
invasiveness. Note, Ron Paul is a former Libertarian presidential
candidate.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.