 Off-Topic / Debate / 717
Re: Federal Reserve Board - "Know Your Customer" Rule
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 13:31:20 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

Jesse Long <LongJR97@hotmail.com> wrote:

God help us if we put some controls in place to deter criminal activity...

Let the police deal with the criminals.  My bank and the government
can keep their noses out of my damned business.

Spot on, Mike. Jesse, you might want to do some research on what this
Know Your Customer rule actually required the banks to do, before you
come out in favor of it. The constitution does guarantee us to be safe
from unreasonable search and seizure and this flies in the face of it.

Know Your Customer, coupled with civil forfeiture, allows some teller
that doesn't like you to report to the feds and local authorities that
you're doing "suspicious transactions", and then the local authorities
can seize the funds in your account, at which point you, without any
money to hire a lawyer, are faced with proving the innocence of your
actions. How very Napoleonic... why bother with having to prove guilt in
criminal court?

PS the link was broken for me, but thanks for the research.

If you surf the site I list in my sig you'll find more info (link is on
the first page) at Ron Paul's website:
http://www.house.gov/paul/privacy/  It gives info on all the pro-privacy
legislation he's introduced, as well as more info on KyC at the FDIC
site via links.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.