 Off-Topic / Debate / 6839
6838  |  6840
Subject:
And now for something completely different: (wasRe: By the way... I got my shirt.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:22:52 GMT

OK, here's something I ran across with the perspective that companies
getting "too" tight with trade marks and trade dress control are doing
themselves a disservice.... maybe I'm wrong on this (IANAL) and TLC hands
are *not* tied or at least are "self-tied", so to speak.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2000/0724/6603132a.html

Virginia Postrel is editor of Reason, one of my favorites.

FUT off-topic.debate

In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney writes:
(replied via email, I don't totally agree, but I don't totally disagree either)

-Tim

In lugnet.space, Larry Pieniazek writes:
<massive snippage>

In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney writes:

Get a clue.

BTW - I want to work for TLC

These two statements may not be compatible with each other. I've said it
before, but it bears repeating. You catch more flies with honey than with
vinegar.

Drilling in...

Look, even the person who enforced the trademark said that TLC hands are
tied on this.

Unless Mark was prepared to go through the standard licensing hoops, it
wasn't blessed by TLC, and if it's not blessed by TLC, it's an infringing
use and they *have* to enforce the trademark or risk losing it.

If that makes me a TLC apologist, so be it. But I don't think that
statements like: "This really irks the snot out of me." are, on the face of
it, helpful.

++Lar