 Space / 4313
Re: By the way... I got my shirt.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 18:58:05 GMT

"Mark Sandlin" <sandlin@nwlink.com> wrote in message
news:B621AA82.6864%sandlin@nwlink.com...
I kind of doubt it. See, the point is, a lot of AFOLs love Classic Space.
Most kids nowadays don't know anything about CS. LEGO markets to kids,
regardless of how many thousands of dollars a year AFOLs spend. • (Personally,
I've spent around $1000 this year on LEGO, more than 99.9% of parents,
that's fer sure) I do give them credit for making some sets available via
S@H that AFOLs wanted, but that's a long way from  producing the kinds of
sets we want.

The way I see it, I was merely providing something to a handful of fans • what
couldn't (and likely won't anytime soon) be provided by TLC.

Unfortunately, this came up on the Copyright Radar.

I guess the source of my bitterness in the matter stems from the fact that
TLC is so quick to protect their copyrights that they don't stop to assess
whether what I was doing was actually harmful.

This really irks the snot out of me.  Why they wouldn't market to what their
consumers want and continue to come out with mediocre products is beyond me.
I've heard from TLC employees face to face how their sales have done well,
how Juniorization is a 'success' etc, but for some reason I'm not inclined
to believe what I hear.  How's come every 10 year old I talk to agrees when
I bring up the idea that LEGO was much better even a few short years ago??

The good news is AFOLs are being hired left and right.  I know of two who
have been recently hired into good positions within TLC, and a few others
who are seeking jobs there.  What we need is people who care about the
product as much as we do to be inside influencing the direction of the
product.  (I'll spare a lot of my opinions on child development and LEGO
toys, where they're going, where they have been, etc...)

TLC wants to be the 'Strongest household brand by 2005' - it appears they
might do that, but at the same time sacrifice the people who truly know what
it means to appreciate their product, and the same people have the energy
and enthusiasm to keep _their_ (TLC's) visions and goals alive.

Get a clue.

BTW - I want to work for TLC, just don't know where yet.

[snip]

Would my T-Shirts have affected the market view of their products?

No, unless someone in their Dark Ages saw one and decided to go pick up a
new set. Oh wait, that might be a good thing, huh?

A really really bad move on their part, I think we can all agree here.

Oh well, at least their copyrights are safe again.

Yeah, we can go back to our day jobs now, knowing that LEGO is no longer
being diluted.

Gimme a break...

...anyways, I'm glad I got my shirt :D
--