 Space / 4312
Re: By the way... I got my shirt.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 18:43:45 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
From: "Markassius" <mark.de.kock@NOSPAM.home.nl>

You know, the moment I read your post anouncing the T-shirts, I ordered one,
thinking that LEGO would stop you as soon as they got a chance. They did.
Unfortunatelly, they stopped you before my order was fully processed. Them's
the breaks. I just hope that LEGO (TLC/TLG) got the hint and will start
manufacturing those T-shirts...

I kind of doubt it. See, the point is, a lot of AFOLs love Classic Space.
Most kids nowadays don't know anything about CS. LEGO markets to kids,
regardless of how many thousands of dollars a year AFOLs spend. (Personally,
I've spent around $1000 this year on LEGO, more than 99.9% of parents,
that's fer sure) I do give them credit for making some sets available via
S@H that AFOLs wanted, but that's a long way from  producing the kinds of
sets we want.

The way I see it, I was merely providing something to a handful of fans what
couldn't (and likely won't anytime soon) be provided by TLC.

Unfortunately, this came up on the Copyright Radar.

I guess the source of my bitterness in the matter stems from the fact that
TLC is so quick to protect their copyrights that they don't stop to assess
whether what I was doing was actually harmful.

Was I competing with any LEGO product?

No.

Was I trying to pass off my shirts as true LEGO merchandise?

No.

Was I affecting the sales of their merchandise in the marketplace?

No.

Would my T-Shirts have affected the market view of their products?

No, unless someone in their Dark Ages saw one and decided to go pick up a
new set. Oh wait, that might be a good thing, huh?

Oh well, at least their copyrights are safe again.

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin

*Big old high five*

~Nathan