 Off-Topic / Debate / 5682
Re: More spam (Was: VERY CHEAP SPACE SETS!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 19:22:55 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
Now they do have a new "Bulk E-mail" option which in theory sifts out most of
the SPAM, which it does, but it still misses about 10% of the messages and
some
real E-mail actually ends up getting caught as SPAM.  For instance the NELUG
mailing list messages are classified as SPAM because it blocks the To:
addresses from view.  And this Bulk E-mail option is not highly configurable,
its basically off or on.

Not really. The Bulk Mail feature allows you to specify certain addresses that
are not classified as Spam no matter what.
When the feature first started I was cautious, so I checked my "Bulk Mail"
folder every day to see if it didn't take any real email accidently. The first
thing I spotted was the quotes-r-us daily mail I get which went as spam; a
solution was simple, I clicked on the button saying "this is not bulk mail",
and now every email coming from that address goes through.
After a month that I saw that absolutely no (other) real email passed as spam,
I turned on the feature that automatically throws away the spam. Very simple,
and very effiecent.

I would like to get my own address with more (or unlimited :-) space, but for
now hotmail is fine for me. I would recommend it.

-Shiri