 Administrative / General / 6631
Re: More spam (Was: VERY CHEAP SPACE SETS!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 13 May 2000 02:15:55 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:

I have tar, but I can't find feather anywhere in my $PATH.  ;-)

Hmm, one used to ship with older versions of AIX, I think. Maybe just as a
joke.

I second that, though I'd recommend a more cross-platform approach.  At least • a
modular approach, which would make porting from VB/ASP -> whatever
relatively easy.

yes yes... agree, but getting it done fast to tinker with is better than
getting it perfect, I say.

The biggest problem with opt-in, however, is that it requires effort on behalf
of the spammers.  (IMO, they wouldn't be spamming people in the first place if
they wanted to apply a little elbow grease.)  But perhaps with an opt-in • system
available, adminisrative policies for violators would be more strict, and
thereby encourage advertisers to prefer the opt-in system.

I'd say once it's in place spammers get ONE warning and then WHAM, they're
ToSsed. Seems fair to me.