 Administrative / General / 6627
Re: More spam (Was: VERY CHEAP SPACE SETS!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 18:39:01 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Matthew Teets writes:
If you have a mailbox.  Well, there isn't anything you can do.  By paying the
postage they have bought the right to send you something.
As far as e-mail, anyone can send you anything that isn't illegal and your
right is to basically delete it.  You can set up most e-mail programs to
reject e-mail from all but approved addresses.

Matt, be caeful -- you are exhibiting an uninformed la-la-land view of the
world.  I'm going to try to use small words so you can understand.

Postal mail is guaranteed by law in the U.S., and cost of mail goes to the
sender.  Receiving excessive postal mail costs you nothing except time to • throw
it in the dust bin.

Don't forget disposal cost. Unless your garbage is set up in order to INCENT
waste, you should be paying for your disposal based on your volume. And that's
one more piece that you have to take care of.
OTOH, e-mail is a private industry, and has no guarantees.  The cost of
legitimate e-mail is split nearly 50-50 between sender and recipient.  Note
that I said legitimate.  Most spammers use back doors and other illegitimate
methods to reduce their costs to nearly zero; that cost is shifted to the
recipient.  (And some of us pay per byte for our e-mail.  What, you want free
e-mail?  Ain't gonna happen.)

Already has. Get a free ISP and a hotmail account and you're all set. Of course
then there's all the ADs.

I hate spam in general but I just think that we may be getting spun up over
something really really minor that isn't the butt end of the problem.
Nevertheless I certainly understand and want to respect the preferences of
those who don't want to receive unsolicited information. And I stand on
principle as much as the next guy I guess, so carry on, don't let me stop the
tar and feathering process.

But I'd rather see us discuss the way to achieve this opt in list I suggested.
I agree that eGroups isn't the way to go, nor is a lugnet.market.announce
group. I'd favor Chris Busse's idea...

++Lar