 Administrative / General / 6629
Re: More spam (Was: VERY CHEAP SPACE SETS!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 20:23:18 GMT

I hate spam in general but I just think that we may be getting spun up over
something really really minor that isn't the butt end of the problem.

Stopping problems at the root can be very effective.

Nevertheless I certainly understand and want to respect the preferences of
those who don't want to receive unsolicited information. And I stand on
principle as much as the next guy I guess, so carry on, don't let me stop the
tar and feathering process.

I have tar, but I can't find feather anywhere in my $PATH.  ;-)

In general, I plant my principles upon practical bases; I hope this has come
across in our debates.  I don't feel that this is a minor issue nor that I'm
blowing things out of proportion.  But thank you for understanding
and respecting my POV.

But I'd rather see us discuss the way to achieve this opt in list I suggested.
I agree that eGroups isn't the way to go, nor is a lugnet.market.announce
group. I'd favor Chris Busse's idea...

I second that, though I'd recommend a more cross-platform approach.  At least a
modular approach, which would make porting from VB/ASP -> whatever
relatively easy.

The biggest problem with opt-in, however, is that it requires effort on behalf
of the spammers.  (IMO, they wouldn't be spamming people in the first place if
they wanted to apply a little elbow grease.)  But perhaps with an opt-in system
available, adminisrative policies for violators would be more strict, and
thereby encourage advertisers to prefer the opt-in system.

Cheers,
- jsproat