 Administrative / General / 6628
Re: More spam (Was: VERY CHEAP SPACE SETS!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 19:07:30 GMT

FUT off-topic.debate

<snip>
OTOH, e-mail is a private industry, and has no guarantees.  The cost of
legitimate e-mail is split nearly 50-50 between sender and recipient.  Note
that I said legitimate.  Most spammers use back doors and other illegitimate
methods to reduce their costs to nearly zero; that cost is shifted to the
recipient.  (And some of us pay per byte for our e-mail.  What, you want free
e-mail?  Ain't gonna happen.)

Already has. Get a free ISP and a hotmail account and you're all set. Of
course then there's all the ADs.

To paraphrase a famous line from Rainman...  "Hotmail Sucks"

I briefly had a hotmail account (actually I still do I don't think they ever go
away) until I got the NELUG address.  SPAM was so bad on Hotmail I almost
couldn't figure out the good from the bad.  Actually I have the hotmail account
set up for some testing occasionally and I check it occasionally for laughs.
Earlier this week I have about 95 new SPAM messages come in 1 day.

Now they do have a new "Bulk E-mail" option which in theory sifts out most of
the SPAM, which it does, but it still misses about 10% of the messages and some
real E-mail actually ends up getting caught as SPAM.  For instance the NELUG
mailing list messages are classified as SPAM because it blocks the To:
addresses from view.  And this Bulk E-mail option is not highly configurable,
its basically off or on.

So while that account lives for purposes other than to receive E-mail I would
never suggest anyone get a Hotmail account.

I also have a Yahoo account which while it still gets quite a bit of SPAM its
filters are much better then Hotmails.

Just my $.02

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group