 Off-Topic / Debate / 5643
  May Day "riots" in London

I would hope that the readers of Lugnet would join me in condeming the actions of the indiviuals who rioted in London on May 1st. Defacing a national monument (The Cenotaph) is not legitamate protest. If a group in Washington were to attack the (...) (24 years ago, 11-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: May Day "riots" in London

(...) Sorry to disappoint you, but I agree. Defacing or destroying property is never a valid response. ++Lar (24 years ago, 11-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: May Day "riots" in London

(...) Hell has frozen over! Pigs are flying! I agree with Larry! Run everyone! The apocalypse is coming!! :) Jeff (24 years ago, 11-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: May Day "riots" in London

(...) How can anyone debates on this one? I'm truly with you. It's a very big shame that they have Turkish origins (assuming that you are mentioning the ones painted slogans and signs on the monument of Churchill). They also protested by all kind (...) (24 years ago, 11-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: May Day "riots" in London

(...) I can only assume that you are from Turkey. If so your'e the first non UK view I'v heard on the issue. Further to my earlier posting: I condem the action of those that defaced the monument. However apart from that some of the groups invloved (...) (24 years ago, 11-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: May Day "riots" in London

(...) This is the first I've heard of it; can you please give some pointers? I'm doubly curious as it happened on my birthday, and we're vacationing to London a a couple of weeks (not exactly a double whammy, but still, I'm curious.) Cheersm - (...) (24 years ago, 11-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: May Day "riots" in London

(...) groups. (...) It was mentioned in an Evening Standard (A London Evening Newspaper) on Firday 5th? of May. Plus some of the grafiti looked supicously like old soviet symbols to me... Alex (24 years ago, 11-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: May Day "riots" in London

(...) Bull. Destruction of property has a very valid role in aggressive conflict resolution. It is a key part of disrupting mobility and supply infrastructure. Were I to stage a revolt, careful distruction of property would be the PRIMARY means of (...) (24 years ago, 11-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: May Day "riots" in London

It is all a matter of perspective. I can remember all the monuments in the USSR falling when the "Cold" {1} War "Ended". If the society, as a whole, considers that a monument no longer represents it's ideals then it is time for change. I'm playing (...) (24 years ago, 11-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: May Day "riots" in London

(...) Is the Cenotaph the World War II memorial? I think I heard that on the news, but I don't remember... (...) Have you ever spent a winter in Russia? ;) Jeff (24 years ago, 11-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: May Day "riots" in London

(...) I think it was erected after World War One (aka The Great War). It symbolises all losses of the Commonwealth in all wars and conflicts (I think) - I will not list the coutries in this as I'd never remeber them all. Scott A (...) (24 years ago, 11-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: May Day "riots" in London

(...) never (...) infrastructure. (...) Oh, sorry about this but.... I agree with you. And with Alex. You're talking about armed insurrection and you are as usual, spot on. Alex is talking about law abiding peaceful demonstration and he is right as (...) (24 years ago, 11-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: May Day "riots" in London

(...) I know you don't know Turkish, but here is a link: (URL) was first page news in almost all the other newspapers here, too. Actually, "Turkish Communist Groups" are not so enough to describe. They are actually terrorists. Although I have quite (...) (24 years ago, 12-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: May Day "riots" in London

(...) And Not just that!, For some people it has become a symbol for the remberance of the victims of any conflict.-including the civilian population(they are frequently the forgetten vicitims of conflict.). ISTR there also beign something about The (...) (24 years ago, 12-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: May Day "riots" in London

(...) I happen to agree as well. An armed inssruection against genuine tyranny ,dictatorship or threats to democratic freedom is justisified (cv. Rumaina (c 1990) ,Cezchsolovakia 1968,Hungary 1956 and some actions in South America). But violence (...) (24 years ago, 12-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: May Day "riots" in London

(...) Is the difference always clear? It seems that Alex isn't talking about law-abiding demonstration at the Cenotaph since laws were broken. (...) You list three specific conditions, one of which must be met for insurrection to be justified. Do (...) (24 years ago, 12-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: May Day "riots" in London

(...) My thoughts entirely. They were 'very well organised and structured' anarchists! Poll Tax riots were a different matter though - at least half the population in the UK supported their cause then, if not particularly their actions. I still have (...) (24 years ago, 12-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)