 Off-Topic / Debate / 5655
Re: May Day "riots" in London
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 15:14:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Selçuk Göre writes:

Farlie A wrote:

I would hope that the readers of Lugnet would join me in condeming
the actions of the indiviuals who rioted in London on May 1st.

Defacing a national monument (The Cenotaph) is not legitamate protest.

If a group in Washington were to attack the Lincon or washington memorial
there would proably be national if not inter-national scandal!

Debate welcomed.

Alex

How can anyone debates on this one? I'm truly with you. It's a very big
shame that they have Turkish origins (assuming that you are mentioning
the ones painted slogans and signs on the monument of Churchill). They
also protested by all kind of media here, too.

Selçuk

I can only assume that you are from Turkey. If so your'e the first non
UK view I'v heard on the issue.

Further to my earlier posting:
I condem the action of those that defaced the monument.

However apart from that some of the groups invloved in the protest weren't
'rioters' nor were they 'anti-captalist' as protrayed by some UK media outlets.

Reclaim the Streets as far as I was aware were an eco- group with some
legitmimate environmental concerns.

From what I hear in the media It appears that the group that destroyed the
monument was a minority and mainly linked to outlawed Turkish Communist groups.

It's shame that thier actions may result in a witch-hunt and a crack down an
legitmate protests. In a London Tonight survey 83%! of people voting wanted to
to ban protest in London. That sort of polorisation of opnion is highly
dangerous.  Particularly when it is aimed at some groups who have (no
connection to the violence) and limited resources to fight thier corner.

Additonaly it's actions like those on May Day that bring in knee-jerk
legislation (It happened after Peterloo in the 19th century) and some people
still feel that the 1991? Criminal Justice Act was a  knee -jerk reaction to
miltant eco-protesters and football thugs, both in the minority. In both cases
the  majoprity off eco-activits and football suppourters have felt hey have
been unfairly treated.

The previous actions in London (namely in the City and Euston) in my opnion
were probably overpoliced and they used heavey handed technqiues ( at Euston
particularlly.). One of the gorups even claimed that the Police provoked the
crowd!

Like I said Debate Welcomed.

Alex