 Off-Topic / Debate / 5680
Re: May Day "riots" in London
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 14:01:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Stembel writes:
I'm playing Devil's advocate here as far as The Cenotaph is
concerned, as I
was personally offended by what happened. However, I was less concerned by
Churchill's fait on the same day.

Is the Cenotaph the World War II memorial?  I think I heard that on the news,
but I don't remember...

I think it was erected after World War One (aka The Great War). It symbolises
all losses of the Commonwealth in all wars and conflicts (I think) - I will
not list the coutries in this as I'd never remeber them all.

And Not just that!, For some people it has become a symbol for the
remberance of the victims of any conflict.-including the civilian
population(they are frequently the forgetten vicitims of conflict.).

ISTR there also beign something about The Centoaph being used when the turth
about  Katyn(in Poland) was discovered.

It also stands as  reminder ' Lest we forget those who gave the ultimate
sacrifice.'

Defacing it is  to deny those who gave their lives in the defence of freedom
a memory.  In some respects it is saying that you suppourt the viewpoint of
terror and extremism that those remembered fought against.

Scott A
{1} Was it really a cold war?
Have you ever spent a winter in Russia?  ;)

It's intresting that you mention that.  In the Soviet era(ie Pre 1985)
anyone defacing a monument to the Sovit Union's war dead would probably have
been shot!

On a  less draconion note. If someone in the US was to attack Arliington
there would be serious voices raised by those in power. If not by the public
at large?
Thankfully AFAIK no-one  in the US attacked it during actions about
America's Invlovment in South East Asia (c1968).

It would appear that it is  seen  by some groups as good to attack the
monuments of an opposing ideology, but woe-betide you if you attack the
monuments of your own.  (And this doesn't just apply to phyiscal monuments,
look at the diffrences between historical legend and the true facts.)
ISTR  Geroge Orwell(A British writer)  making a comment on this in one of
his essays.

Alex