 Off-Topic / Debate / 5664
Re: May Day "riots" in London
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 18:34:59 GMT

It is all a matter of perspective. I can remember all the monuments in the
USSR falling when the "Cold" {1} War "Ended". If the society, as a whole,
considers that a monument no longer represents it's ideals then it is time for
change.

I'm playing Devil's advocate here as far as The Cenotaph is concerned, as I
was personally offended by what happened. However, I was less concerned by
Churchill's fait on the same day.

Scott A

{1} Was it really a cold war?

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Alex Farlie writes:
I would hope that the readers of Lugnet would join me in condeming
the actions of the indiviuals who rioted in London on May 1st.

Defacing a national monument (The Cenotaph) is not legitamate protest.

If a group in Washington were to attack the Lincon or washington memorial
there would proably be national if not inter-national scandal!

Debate welcomed.

Alex