 Off-Topic / Debate / 5564
  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) heard (...) As I understand it, infection by the father isn't transmitted via conception at all. And, for reasons somewhat unknown, HIV infected mothers frequently produce babies without infection. So, your premis isn't correct. (...) But even (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) What leads you to think that? The infected people are not all dying very soon. Some (many) of them do not know they are infected, and many of them do not know how to prevent transmitting HIV. They will continue to pass it on, and probably for (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) Several things are concurrently happening. Some of them are dying. Such an alarming number of them are sick, that their broken social system that has thus far not provided a socially acceptable method of teaching basic health and safty topic (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) The ones who listen to the education and change their habits will live and those who don't won't. Heartlessly simple, but then, that's evolution in action for you... It will only take a few generations. In geological time, that's "shortly". (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) Unless, of course, widespread plague causes civilization to break down. Then, the ones who listen to the education *and* successfully dodge the bullets will survive. Witness what happened to the Jews during the Black Plague. Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 9-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) Are you suggesting this as a real possibility, or as a logical argument to Larry's point? Chris (24 years ago, 9-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) Then, (...) will (...) A logical argument to Larry's point. Plagues have a habit of overthrowing society. It's also a real possibility, of course, though not necessarily a probable one. Certainly not probable on a large enough scale to pose a (...) (24 years ago, 9-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) The destablization of countries not a threat to US National Security? The loss of a quarter of a country's workforce would destroy its economy. This could damage the economy of neighboring countries or those that back them financially. With (...) (24 years ago, 9-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) Hypothetically speaking, of course. And hypothetically, I agree. In the specific case, I disagree. the virus is too hard to transmit for it to become a plague. I wouldn't even call it an epidemic, much less a pandemic. Now, if the virus (...) (24 years ago, 9-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) No. Not in the general case it isn't. Sorry about that. ++Lar (24 years ago, 9-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) Explain please. Jeff (24 years ago, 9-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) We're not the worlds policeman. While the destabilization of, for example, Liberia, may be quite saddening to watch, it's not going to have a long term large impact on us. There is nothing that Liberia has that is a vital interest to us. The (...) (24 years ago, 9-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) Actually, it does: Our Fellow Man. (...) Actually, it would probably heavily damage our economy. (...) While true, it is rather hard to say just what would happen when a country destabilized. Therefore, it is better to be safe than sorry. (...) (24 years ago, 9-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) Ok, the virus does mutate. the mutation rate for the genes that code for the protein coat is about 15%/8 years. Compare this to the divergence rate in almost any gene between a person and a chimpanzee which is about 2%/several million years. (...) (24 years ago, 9-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) I don't think that counts. If the government believed that 'our fellow man' was a vital interest, things would be very different. Since they aren't, then it must not be so. (...) Nah. I'm no economist, but I bet we'd go on fine after hitting (...) (24 years ago, 9-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?

(...) This is a good point that hasn't been discussed much here. The likelihood of progress should go into the cost-benefit analysis. OTOH, if the techniques developped for Polio worked for HIV, it'd be under control by now, right? Since that's not (...) (24 years ago, 10-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)