 Off-Topic / Debate / 5594
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 17:36:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Stembel writes:

The destablization of countries not a threat to US National Security?

No. Not in the general case it isn't. Sorry about that.

Explain please.

We're not the worlds policeman. While the destabilization of, for example,
Liberia, may be quite saddening to watch, it's not going to have a long term
large impact on us. There is nothing that Liberia has that is a vital interest
to us.

The destabilization of, for example, Japan, on the other hand, would have an
impact on us.

But even an "impact" may or may not be a "threat to security".

Please explain why, if we stand off and let Liberia disintegrate, it is a
"threat to US National Security". Be specific. Remember, you're the asserter,
burden of proof is on you.

++Lar