 Off-Topic / Debate / 5599
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 18:48:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Stembel writes:

There is nothing that Liberia has that is a vital interest
to us.

Actually, it does:  Our Fellow Man.

I don't think that counts.  If the government believed that 'our fellow man'
was a vital interest, things would be very different.  Since they aren't, then
it must not be so.

The destabilization of, for example, Japan, on the other hand, would have an
impact on us.

Actually, it would probably heavily damage our economy.

Nah.  I'm no economist, but I bet we'd go on fine after hitting that pot hole.
In fact, it would probably be good for us to get back in the habbit of making
our own stuff to a larger degree.

But even an "impact" may or may not be a "threat to security".

While true, it is rather hard to say just what would happen when a country
destabilized.  Therefore, it is better to be safe than sorry.

So we must not only tippy-toe around the world not stepping on anyone's toes,
but when other nations screw themselves up, we have to step in the the
mega-checkbook and write a prescription?  People are better off taking
responsibility for themselves.  We should write those checks only when it's in
the best interest of our nation.  And you might be able to make an argument
that in this case it is...I'm not in any way asserting that it is certainly
not...but that should be the standard.  And I don't think that just 'cause
those poor folks are suffering cuts it.

Do you suppose they'd be there for us if we needed their help?  Have they
helped their neighbors when in need?

Chris