 Off-Topic / Debate / 5569
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 23:43:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
Especially if you figure that the
infection rate has and most likely will increase as time goe on.

_If_ you figure that, then the problem is worse.  But I don't figure that.  I
figure that the rate will decline shortly.

What leads you to think that?

Several things are concurrently happening.  Some of them are dying.  Such an
alarming number of them are sick, that their broken social system that has thus
far not provided a socially acceptable method of teaching basic health and
safty topic will have to adapt to survive.  And believe me, it will.  People
are pretty good at surviving.  If they're uncomfortable discussing condoms, and
that's why they're dying, eventually some of them are going to get comfortable
enough with it and those ones won't die.  As that happens, the percentage of
victims will decrease.  That trend will snowball.

The infected people are not all dying very soon.
Some (many) of them do not know they are infected, and many of them do not

I think they can pretty much assume that they are, if they're copulating with
multiple partners.  And I think that people are pretty aware of the situation
at this point.  Now it's just a matter of getting folks to behave appropriately
and cleaning up broken infrastructure like infected blood supplies.

Chris