 Off-Topic / Debate / 5568
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 23:21:23 GMT

Tom Stangl wrote:
But it doesn't HAVE to go on - all you have to do is force the damned idea through
their heads that SEX (and sharing needles) CAN KILL, so either stay monogamous, or
use condoms, or just use your own personal hands and skip the interaction with the
other sex altogether ;-).

***Handing people drugs to keep them alive longer while they continue to have
unprotected sex, furthering the disease, is Socially Irresponsible.***  I would
think this would be obvious to anyone.

Sorry, I should have added to my post(s) that I do not support the
giving/using of
life-prolonging drugs that would result in the situation Tom just
described above.
(thought about when i started to write and promptly forgot about it :/
).  Also,
that opinion is on purely scientific ground, it's difficult to pick the
right
thing to do when you bring emotions into it.

We(the world) should be funding an intensive program for a vaccine- it
was done
for polio and many other viral infections.  Although the full-tilt sex
ed class
would certainally help slow the spread, sex can be a difficult urge to
keep in
check.  Maybe a combination of the two...

-Chris