 Off-Topic / Debate / 4872
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:02:13 GMT

Dave!,

Dave Schuler wrote:

I heard something on the news yesterday that puzzled me, and I hoped a few of
the more politically-savvy around here might help me to comprehend it.  It
seems George Pataki of New York favors certain measures of gun regulation
including, among other things, mandatory trigger locks and ballistic
fingerprinting.  I understand the more popular arguments against trigger locks,
(in that, if one can steal a gun, one can steal the gun's key), but the NRA has
voiced its opposition against ballistic fingerprinting, and that's what
confuses me.
  It seems they object to it on the grounds that it would establish what they
call national gun registration.  I suppose it would, but why would that be a
problem, exactly?  I'm not trying to be inflammatory here; this actually seemed
like a good measure.  I know that fingerprinting won't prevent a stolen gun
from being used in a crime, of course, but I feel that I'm failing to
comprehend something about the NRA's view here.
  I don't often agree with the NRA, but in this case I'd at least like to try
to understand where they're coming from...

Ballastic fingerprinting? Well, I don't know what that is, so you need
to tell me that first. I think before we need *ANY* more gun laws, we
need to start enforcing the *22,000+* laws that are on the books, which,
BTW, won't solve any problems like the shootings in Concubine High
School, the recent one in Flint, MI (I am very close to this one, and I
know a lot about it, if you want to know), etc. The Clinton/Gore
Administration is not enforcing the laws we have, and go "ambulance
chase" every time there is a shooting, which is both pathetic and
enraging. I think we need to ban their first amendment rights to free
speech if they want to ban my second amendment rights to keep and bear
arms.

Scott S.
Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com