 Off-Topic / Debate / 4876
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:17:13 GMT

Scott:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:

Ballastic fingerprinting? Well, I don't know what that is, so you need
to tell me that first.

I’m not sure if that’s the "actual" term or the term that I heard on the
news.  In either case, it refers to a method of gun registration in which
every gun is fired before sale, and the slugs and/or casings are laser-scanned
so that the ballistics data can be kept on file.  The idea, theoretically, is
that investigators can use bullets and casings left behind at a crime to
identify which gun was used, and possibly therefore its owner.

   Dave!