 Off-Topic / Debate / 4871
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:36:55 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

I heard something on the news yesterday that puzzled me, and I hoped a few of
the more politically-savvy around here might help me to comprehend it.  It
seems George Pataki of New York favors certain measures of gun regulation
including, among other things, mandatory trigger locks and ballistic
fingerprinting.  I understand the more popular arguments against trigger locks,
(in that, if one can steal a gun, one can steal the gun's key), but the NRA has
voiced its opposition against ballistic fingerprinting, and that's what
confuses me.
  It seems they object to it on the grounds that it would establish what they
call national gun registration.  I suppose it would, but why would that be a
problem, exactly?  I'm not trying to be inflammatory here; this actually seemed
like a good measure.  I know that fingerprinting won't prevent a stolen gun
from being used in a crime, of course, but I feel that I'm failing to
comprehend something about the NRA's view here.
  I don't often agree with the NRA, but in this case I'd at least like to try
to understand where they're coming from...

The reason for opposition of gun registry comes down to what the purpose
of the 2nd amendment is presumed to be, that of assuring that the
populace can be armed as a defence against an out of control government
(an understanding which I agree with, unlikely as it seems that it would
ever occur (1)). The problem with gun registration is that then the
government knows where all the guns (supposedly) are when they decide to
start depriving us of our rights and start confiscating guns.

(1) Though there certainly are some recent situations which make one
wonder. I am certainly troubled by Ruby Ridge, Waco, and Oklahoma City.
Our government does need to change, but it is not so corrupt as to
justify blowing up a building, especially one with a daycare inside.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com