 Off-Topic / Debate / 4870
4869  |  4871
Subject:
Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:41:03 GMT

I heard something on the news yesterday that puzzled me, and I hoped a few of
the more politically-savvy around here might help me to comprehend it.  It
seems George Pataki of New York favors certain measures of gun regulation
including, among other things, mandatory trigger locks and ballistic
fingerprinting.  I understand the more popular arguments against trigger locks,
(in that, if one can steal a gun, one can steal the gun's key), but the NRA has
voiced its opposition against ballistic fingerprinting, and that's what
confuses me.
  It seems they object to it on the grounds that it would establish what they
call national gun registration.  I suppose it would, but why would that be a
problem, exactly?  I'm not trying to be inflammatory here; this actually seemed
like a good measure.  I know that fingerprinting won't prevent a stolen gun
from being used in a crime, of course, but I feel that I'm failing to
comprehend something about the NRA's view here.
  I don't often agree with the NRA, but in this case I'd at least like to try
to understand where they're coming from...

   Thanks for listening,

     Dave!