 Off-Topic / Debate / 4873
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:34:16 GMT

I understand the more popular arguments against trigger locks,
(in that, if one can steal a gun, one can steal the gun's key),

Actually, this is one that I can't understand at all.... I can't figure out how
ANYONE could object to mandatory trigger locks... How in the world would
something like that impinge on your rights?  Now, granted, it most likely would
not do a thing to combat a lot of the high-publicity shootings that have
recently occurred (but then, no law would... those people were criminals... by
definition, not being controlled by laws).  However, it would probably help
reduce the number of annual accidental deaths-by-gunshot that occur when little
johnny finds his father's gun in the closet, which, believe it or not, is a
pretty high number.

So what is the argument here?  It will add too much to the cost of the gun?
Please! Can anyone honestly tell me that they are going to balk at buying a
$400 handgun because it has to be sold with a $6 trigger lock?  This reminds me
of the fight against mandatory seat belts in cars... ("But, if we make
seatbelts standard, people will think our cars are unsafe!").

Honestly, This is perhaps the ONLY reasonable and practical gun saftey
regulation ever to be proposed by congress.  I still don't understand on what
grounds anyone opposes it. Now as for all the other gun control stuff they are
trying to pass or have already passed, I tend to slide towards the NRA's
viewpoint on a lot of them... but this one just bothers me.

--Karim