 Off-Topic / Debate / 4949
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:59:20 GMT

Generally the more laws you have, the more selectively you can enforce
them, if you so choose. 22,000 gun laws are about 21,853 (Plus or minus
12) too many.

How about reducing to the following:

- if you allow your gun to be misused, you're liable for what happens
(strict liability)
- if your gun is used in a homicide, you're guilty of negligent homicide
in most cases
- if your gun is used by you in committing a crime, you get double the
minimum before you are eligible for parole and you owe 3X the cost of
the gun to the manufacturer of it for besmerching their reputation.
- manufacturers must at all times use the best available technology
(within reason, say developed at least 5 years or more ago) to make guns
easy to identify and trace back to their owners

Those aren't strictly libertarian but if we could get rid of a bunch of
stupid and ineffective ones, I'd go for a trade.

Guns are scary things and people ought to be scared of them just as they
are of any dangerous tool.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!