 Off-Topic / Debate / 4371
  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Yes, it is something like the first amendment "La ilahe illallah and Muhemmedun resulullah" or something like in Arabic. Islam also states that Isa (Jesus) Musa (Moses) and Davud (David?) are all prophets like Muhammed (Mohammed) and so, they (...) (24 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) He says many times that there are no other gods beside Him. All other gods are fabrications. Bill (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) OK, so that would be (b) then? How about other non-God deities (from other religions)? Do those gods deny the existance of other gods? (Obviously the Greek gods, for instance, don't fall into that category.) That is, is Christianity the only (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) IANAM(1), but I believe that one of the basic beliefs is that "That there is no god but God and that Mohammad is His messenger". Though, they mean the same God, so maybe that doesn't count. This leads me to wonder: Is there a term to describe (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I've seen "people of the Book" used, but I doubt if it's an official term. Kevin (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) You might have to settle for "Western monotheistic tradition" or a neologism "Abrahamic". Acknowledging our Islamic heritage with an all-inclusive term would have been too painful for Christian cultures which could barely come to acknowledge (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Well, it isn't official in that the phrase is a translation of the Arabic, but it does come from translating the Koran to English. I think Mohamed also used this term in inviting some visiting Christians to worship in a mosque at one time. (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) The Vikings didn't seem to have a problem with gods from other religions existing. The God of the Jews, Christians and Mohammad is the one and only, as far as I understand their collective faiths. Hindus I don't know - they shouldn't have a (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) in (...) no (...) Muslims would force people to convert by the sword, but not Jews and Christians inasmuch as they were "followers of the Book." Whether that is solely a reference to the Old Testament only I'm curious to know. I can't think of (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  (canceled)

  Re: Please, just end the entire thing! ( was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) You are off-topic here. If you want to discuss Lego, please do not post on off-topic.debate. :-) Bruce (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  You're off topic, and wrong.

(...) Actually, everyone that is posting on the thread is part of the "Lugnet group", so I don't know how it would please them. (...) Ha! This thread isn't even 100 articles yet! Ben Roller (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) ?!? What were the Crusades about, then? Historically speaking, Muslims have invariably been better neighbors than Christians, at least in terms of religious co-existance. Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Both of you got it about half right (about the Muslims, that is). The Muslims did force people to convert, but only people who believed in dieties and/or held polytheistic beliefs. They DID NOT force Jews or Christians to convert, in fact they (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Please, just end the entire thing! ( was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Hmm. Erin, while I can understand some frustration about vast threads of controversy, it's relevant to note that this conversation is happening exactly where it's supposed to: lugnet.OFF-TOPIC.debate (emphasis mine). Quoting relevant text: (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.council)

  Re: Please, just end the entire thing! ( was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Are you kidding? This is the most exciting God talk I've read. There's alot of perspective I've never seen before. Maybe Lego minds are of "a different spirit." Anyhoo, I degress from off topic. Er... God Bless Markus (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Right... although IANAM (1) either, I did live in Israel in which Islam is the second most popular religion. I remember learning about Islam two years ago and taking a field trip to the near Misgad (temple, name in english = ?). That sentence (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Christians (...) I'm not sure what the Crusades has to do with my statement. Oh, wait, I think you are reading it as two seperate statements. The Muslims converted all those except Jews and Christians by the sword because they were followers (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Ummmm, that's exactly what I said. Muslims forced people other than Jews and Christians to convert. Bruce (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Yep! My goof. Sorry about the confusion. See, I had this most interesting conversation with an associate last month, and it's still fresh in my mind. The person I was talking with was absolutely convinced that indiscriminate violence is (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Please, just end the entire thing! ( was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Love that word! Anyway, this thread is more interesting to me than the Loud Urguments about Goofballs, erm, presidential candidates. :-, Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Please, just end the entire thing! ( was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

Okay, I may have made a .........er............terversial error in posting that message, so.....Todd, please delete my message (and if you could, all the messages in reply to my message) Thanks. Erin -- "The only god minifigs believe in, are the (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Please, just end the entire thing! ( was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) S'okay, Erin. I was just playing around. I hope there are no hard feelings? Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Please, just end the entire thing! ( was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) I can't know exactly which message you mean (I can guess) without a group and message number, but if you can point precisely to it (send me an email) I can cancel it upon your request. However, I can't (won't) cancel other peoples' replies (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I am reading right now Colleen McCullough's _Caesar_ (book number 5 of her excellent novels) and there is a passage where she has a fictitious conversation between Caesar and the chief Druid, Cathbad. Caesar is anxious to make an impression, (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) It's not an amendment, and misinterpreted many muslims as you already worded it. It actually written in kuran as same as you jews are interpreted. This picture/statue case in Turkish Islam is much more like your people's belief, except some (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)