 Off-Topic / Debate / 4386
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 08:56:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ben Roller writes:

IANAM(1), but I believe that one of the basic beliefs is that "That there is no
god but God and that Mohammad is His messenger".  Though, they mean the same
God, so maybe that doesn't count.  This leads me to wonder: Is there a term to
describe the believers of God(including Jews, Christians, Muslims and others)?

Ben Roller

1. I am not a Muslim

You might have to settle for "Western monotheistic tradition" or a neologism
"Abrahamic". Acknowledging our Islamic heritage with an all-inclusive term would
have been too painful for Christian cultures which could barely come to
acknowledge the Jews in their midst. Now we have a term, Judeo-Christian. Much
Renaissance knowledge was transmitted to Western Europe through Islamic
channels, but that doesn't underscore any religious commonality.