 Off-Topic / Debate / 4448
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 22:07:29 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
Muslims would force people to convert by the sword, but not Jews and • Christians
inasmuch as they were "followers of the Book."
?!?  What were the Crusades about, then?  Historically speaking, Muslims have
invariably been better neighbors than Christians, at least in terms of
religious co-existance.
I'm not sure what the Crusades has to do with my statement.  Oh, wait, I think
you are reading it as two seperate statements.  The Muslims converted all those
except Jews and Christians by the sword because they were followers of the
Book.  I wasn't refering to the Jews' or Christians' habits.  I hope that
clears things up?

Yep!  My goof.  Sorry about the confusion.

See, I had this most interesting conversation with an associate last month,
and it's still fresh in my mind.  The person I was talking with was absolutely
convinced that indiscriminate violence is inherent in Islam.  The git's
argument went something like, "well, in the news they said..."

And don't get me started on how the word "jihad" is so horribly misused.
Whoops, I just got myself started.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society