 Off-Topic / Debate / 4447
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 22:02:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Aaron Hines writes:
(God said they'd die, but they didn't).

Ah, to this I would refer again to the scripture which says "A thousand years
is but a day to the Lord."  If this is literal, then God was truthful.  No
human after Adam has lived to be 1000, eh? =)

Love your line of thought! I've never heard of this before but that's very
reasonable... After all, God killed him after about a few minutes... ;-)

-Shiri

Aaron is quite correct. Adam and Eve had the opportunity to live for ever in
the Garden of Eden, as long as they adhere to a few simple rule. Not so
unreasonable, as the Garden belonge to God. Much like were here in Lugnet on
the condition that we follow a few simple rules set out by Todd and Suz.
Again, not so unreasonable as it's their creation.

There is a certain irony in what happened after they ate the apple. This was
the Tree of Knowledge. You would thing that after eating the apple they would
be all powerful, all knowing, like God. What was their first reaction after
eating the apple. They realised they were naked, and were full of shame. An
unusual reaction for someone who is now a "god" don't you think. When God came
along to meet with them, they hid from him in shame. A reocuring theme here,
shame. They were ashamed of what they did, they were ashamed of themselves.

So God kicked them out. He was completely justified in doing that, because
they broke the rules. They thought they could do things their way, so he said
"Off you go, do it your way", and things suddenly became hard, because
previously God had done it all for them. And they did die eventually, because
they could not live for eternity without God.

I love the joke about the scientists saying to God that they were as great as
God and didn't need him anymore. So they decided to hold a competition and
make a man. "We'll do it the way I did it originally" said God. "OK" said the
scientist, and bent down to scooop up a handfull of dirt, "this'll be easy".
"No, no, no", said God, "You go get your own dirt".

Pete Callaway