 Off-Topic / Debate / 4403
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 18:35:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ben Roller writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
That is, is Christianity the only religion in which
its deity insists that it is the only true deity, or is this a common thing • in
the religions which have flourished?

IANAM(1), but I believe that one of the basic beliefs is that "That there is • no
god but God and that Mohammad is His messenger".  Though, they mean the same
God, so maybe that doesn't count.  This leads me to wonder: Is there a term to
describe the believers of God(including Jews, Christians, Muslims and others)?

Ben Roller

1. I am not a Muslim

Muslims would force people to convert by the sword, but not Jews and Christians
inasmuch as they were "followers of the Book."  Whether that is solely a
reference to the Old Testament only I'm curious to know.  I can't think of a
term that Jews or Christians use to identify all three as followers of the same
god.

Bruce