 Off-Topic / Debate / 331
Re: Impeachment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 19:40:01 GMT

What is actually meant by "High crimes and misdemeanors"?  Is it
a grandiose crime that is considered a felony?  Or is it a crime by
an official in a high office ... Like the President?

Should there be two sets of laws?  You or I would be prosecuted
for doing something that Clinton did.  From your tone of your
response, I would have to agree with you.

Beaker wrote:

I do see your point.  I think we actually agree on everything except
whether the crime meets the standard of 'high crimes and misdemeanors'
... I respect your opinion, and note your concern for the future of the
presidency, but I cannot get around my personal belief that a public
official believing he is above the law constitutes a high crime in and
of itself.  It is an abuse of public trust and undermines the notion
that our elected officials are public servants.  Whether it's Bill
Clinton lying on the stand or a traffic cop turning on his lights to run
a traffic light he doesn't want to wait for, it's an abuse of a trust
that makes our government rather unique and precious.

/ _ _ / _ _                       Don't like it?  Direct all flames to
()(-(//((-/                                 miotch@havoc.gtf.gatech.edu
============= Jim Baker -- Weather Weasel Extraordinaire ==============

--
Lee Jorgensen, Programmer/Analyst - Bankoe Systems, Inc.
mailto://jorgensen@bankoe.moc  <-- reverse moc