 Off-Topic / Debate / 3100
Re: Welcome to the Ohs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 18:28:08 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

While I can agree with the thought that we have not yet entered the new
millenium, we have definitely left the '90s. Of course on another angle, we
almost surely have entered the new millenium (I have heard anywhere from 3
to 6 BC for the actual YOB of Jesus).

Actually, if a particular thrice appearing planetary conjunction were to
be interpreted as the star of bethlehem (not an unreasonable
speculation, using astrological interpretation), and its first
appearance did indeed happen in synch with Jesus' birth, then Jesus was
born in what would be the latter half of May, in 7BC.  The conjunction
showed up again in September*, and again in December, in the same year
(which could explain how it was that they saw the "star" many months
later when they were in the region).

Mark

(*It has been some years since I saw the presentation on astronomy which
covered this particular concept, and although I distinctly remember the
times for first and last appearances, I am not 100% certain about the
2nd one.  I am pretty sure that it was September, as that is what my
memory seems to be telling me, but I cannot claim complete confidence in
that.)