 Off-Topic / Debate / 3109
Re: Welcome to the Ohs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 21:45:04 GMT

why not make life easier and just state that
new decades start on an xxx0 year, new centuries start on an xx00 year, • and
new millenia start on an x000 year.

Because it's not true. :)  It's true that the calendar is somewhat based on
arbitrary convention (since Christ was born around 5 BC), but one must stick
with convention if it's to be of any use.

BTW, millennium and millennia have two N's ... must be the most misspelled
word of the millennium (since people haven't had to spell it for a 1000
years).  I certainly hope you don't spell annal with one N too. ;)

Paul Davidson