 General / 13071
Re: Welcome to the Ohs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 21:33:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary R. Istok writes:

Tom Stangl wrote:

<snip>
P.S.  Anyone hear about the french clock maker.  He made a grandfather • clock in
the 1600s that has a date counter on it.  It should be reading 1/1/2000 • right
now.  The first "Y2K" compliant device.

Doubtful, considering the calendar adjustment of 13 (14?) days in the 1700s
somewhere ;-)

That adjustment from Julian to Gregorian format is also a complicated issue. • It
happened in Western Europe in 1582, but not the UK until 1752, and not Russia • until
1917.  So there was a period where when you  crossed the English Channel, you • crossed
not only a time zone (not sure they had them in the 1500-1700's) but a period • of
11-14 days difference depending on which century you crossed over.

The Eastern (Orthodox) Church still doesn't recognize the Gregorian Calendar • (not
sure about the idiosyncracies), hence the holidays are now upon them.

Gary Istok

I forgot to take that whole calander switch mess into account.  Still the Idea
of the clock counting to the year 2000 and beyond amuses me to no end.

-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men"

Visit me at:  http://members.tripod.com/~LordInsanity